Friday, September 4, 2009

Midnight Snacks & a Prayer Request

No, this is not about me and my midnight snacks. Sheesh! ;0) I am writing this about Isaiah and his midnight snacking lately. I'm sure you're thinking, "why would Isaiah, a 4-year old, have a midnight snack?" First of all, this is my child you're talking about - he loves to snack. =0) Secondly, the steroids are now taking over. =0) A child who loves to snack has just formed a stomach with a bottomless pit.

This isn't altogether a bad thing - I mean, he wasn't eating well before his last episode. And what he's wanting for a "snack" isn't all that bad, either. It's just the time and his snack of choice that seems to be more of the issue. Take, for instance, last night. He wanted chicken. Yup, chicken. Not the frozen pieces that are easy to stick in an oven and are done in half an hour or so. Not even the Isaiah-safe chicken nuggets or special chicken hot dogs, either. Nope, he wants the real deal. The big, mouth watering, delightful-smelling, roasted chicken - two legs, two wings, the golden brown skin . . . you get the picture. =0)

Well, on to tonight. For dinner, Isaiah wanted this chicken, again. Well, since we just had chicken the previous night, we didn't have the chicken thawed for dinner tonight - I might add that we had leftovers the previous night, with the real deal cooked the night before. =0) So, I convinced him that he really wanted pasta with some extras (veggies and such). Well, he picked "noodles with da gar-wic, and da odder stuff" (rice pasta with garlic, oil, and spices). =0) So, I made his pasta . . . and he ate all of it - I had even made extra for the anticipated midnight snack, and he ate all of it. =0) Thinking he wouldn't want the noodles, again, I was hoping he would just want an apple or one of those special hot dogs.

I couldn't have been more wrong. =0)
Not only did he want the noodles, he wanted the long noodles (spaghetti noodles) tossed with the sauteed minced garlic and spices . . . at midnight. I couldn't convince him to choose a different snack, either. I offered, and gave, him chocolate ice cream (that I made from rice milk) and a fruit juice Popsicle. To top it off, he also had some cinnamon applesauce. Apparently, that just didn't do it for him. He wanted those noodles. So, at 12:30, I had to make the pasta.

And this is him enjoying the pasta . . . served with our best white grape-cherry juice, of course. =0)

And, yes, he is now resting peacefully, all snuggled up in bed while I type this. =0)


-----------------------------------------------------------------


And on a sadder note, my Aunt Sis (my dad's sister) went to be with Jesus yesterday. She was a wonderful person with a huge heart - someone who would invite you into her home and cook a huge meal with whatever she had in her cabinets. She was a wonderful cook. It's hard to think that she's no longer here on earth, but now in eternity with Jesus. It almost seams surreal - we were going to visit Aunt Sis and Uncle Ivan on our last vacation that was cut short (they have never met Isaiah). I know Isaiah would have loved her, just as she would have loved to meet Isaiah in person (she spoke to him on the phone once). I know that she will be greatly missed. Please keep Uncle Ivan (her husband), her sons (Danny and Chuck), their grandchildren, and the rest of the family in your prayers.



My dad has been mostly silent since yesterday - you can tell he's really bothered by this. He's also not feeling the greatest either and has an appointment as soon as he gets back with his oncologist - some tests came back with some not so great results. I will keep you posted on the labs and the appointments. I know you guys will pray for him as well (as you already have been).

1 comment:

stitching under oaks said...

So sorry about your aunt. We'll be praying for your dad as he's dealing with his sister's death. I hope the midnight munchies don't last for too long!